Thursday, May 26, 2011

Six-Word Memoirs

I've kind of been super into "six-word memoirs" lately. In the last weeks of school I discovered this book in the library, fell in love, then was informed it was too close to the end of the year to check out books. I'm dumb.


Yesterday I checked out the original six-word memoir book from the public library and fell in love all over again.

The fact that people are telling entire stories within just half a dozen words is amazing, and pretty inspiring.
I'm a little bit obsessed now. I got my brothers into it too, and the majority of last night's dinner was conversed using six word statements. I bet our parents hated that.
Of course I had to write some of my own. In actual seriousness though, not: "Pass the tartar sauce, just kidding." or "Bad social skills. Maybe just hygiene."

There's a website for all this junk. You can read other people's memoirs, and submit your own.
I like this type of writing because of how minimal it is. You've got only a handful of words to tell a whole story. You've got a limit but the possibilities don't end. There's plenty of freedom in it. It also makes you contemplate the meaning, and maybe even debate. I think English teachers should bring this book into classrooms. One of my favorite from the book I've read so far is "Made a mess. Cleaned it up." - Amy Anderson. It seems so cinched, maybe even silly, and I suppose that could be the voice Amy Anderson was trying to portray, but dig in! How symbolic this could be! I'll let you do the thinking.

I've written a few of my own but this is the one I like best. I'll probably share more later.

Always tomorrow. And tomorrow's tomorrow too.

No comments:

Post a Comment